(a) PRE-WELDING MEASUREMENTS
(1) Always take measurements before installing under-body or engine components to insure correct assembly. After installation, confirm proper fit.
(1) The number of welding spots should be as follows.
Spot weld: 1.3 X No. of manufacturer's spots. Plug weld: More than No. of manufacturer's plugs.
(2) Plug welding should be done with a MIG (Metal Inert Gas) welder. Do not gas weld or braze panels at areas other than specified.
(c) POST-WELDING REFINISHING
(1) Always check the welded spots to insure they are secure.
(2) When smoothing out the weld spots with a disc grinder, be careful not to grind off too much as this would weaken the weld.
(d) SPOT WELD LOCATIONS
(1) Try to avoid welding over previous spots.
(e) SPOT WELDING PRECAUTIONS
(1) The shape of the welding tip point has an effect on the strength of the weld.
(2) Always insure that the seams and welding tip are free of paint.
Was this article helpful?