1. INSTALL NO. 2 CHAIN SUB-ASSEMBLY
(a) Set the crankshaft key into the left horizontal position.
(b) Turn the drive shaft so that the cutout faces upward.
(c) Align the yellow mark links with the timing marks of each gear as shown in the illustration.
(d) Install the sprockets onto the crankshaft and oil pump shaft with the chain wrapped on the gears.
(e) Temporarily tighten the oil pump drive shaft sprocket with the nut.
(f) Insert the damper spring into the adjusting hole, and then install the chain tensioner plate with the bolt. Torque: 12 N*m (122 kgf*cm, 9 ft.*lbf)
(g) Align the adjusting hole of the oil pump drive shaft sprocket with the groove of the oil pump.
(h) Insert a 4 mm diameter bar into the adjusting hole of the oil pump drive shaft gear to lock the gear in position, and then tighten the nut.
(i) Rotate the crankshaft clockwise by 90°, and align the crankshaft key to the top.
2. INSTALL CRANKSHAFT TIMING SPROCKET
(a) Install the crankshaft timing sprocket.
3. INSTALL NO. 1 CHAIN VIBRATION DAMPER
(a) Install the chain vibration damper with the 2 bolts. Torque: 9.0 N*m (92 kgf*cm, 80 in.*lbf)
DT) J ^ m
4. INSTALL CHAIN SUB-ASSEMBLY
(a) Set the No. 1 cylinder to TDC/compression.
(1) Turn the camshafts with a wrench (using the hexagonal lobe) to align the timing marks of the camshaft timing gear with each timing mark located on the No. 1 and No. 2 bearing caps as shown in the illustration.
(2) Using the crankshaft pulley bolt, turn the crankshaft to position with the key on the crankshaft upward.
Install the chain onto the crankshaft timing sprocket with the gold or pink mark link aligned with the timing mark on the crankshaft.
(c) Using SST and a hammer, tap in the crankshaft timing sprocket. SST 09309-37010
(d) Align the gold or yellow link with each timing mark located on the camshaft timing gear and sprocket, then install the chain.
5. INSTALL CHAIN TENSIONER SLIPPER
(a) Install the chain tensioner slipper with the bolt. Torque: 19 N*m (194 kgf*cm, 14 ft.*lbf)
6. INSTALL TIMING CHAIN GUIDE
(a) Install the timing chain guide with the bolt. Torque: 9.0 N*m (92 kgf*cm, 80 in.*lbf)
7. INSTALL NO. 1 CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR PLATE
(a) Install the sensor plate with the "F" mark facing forward.
8. INSTALL TIMING CHAIN CASE OIL SEAL (See page LU-15)
9. INSTALL TIMING CHAIN COVER SUB-ASSEMBLY (See page LU-15)
10. INSTALL V-RIBBED BELT TENSIONER ASSEMBLY
(a) Install the V-ribbed belt tensioner with the bolt and nut.
Do not lift the engine more than necessary.
11. INSTALL ENGINE MOUNTING BRACKET RH
(a) Install the engine mounting bracket with the 3 bolts. Torque: 54 N*m (551 kgf*cm, 40 ft.*lbf)
12. INSTALL ENGINE MOUNTING INSULATOR
(a) Raise the engine and install the engine mounting insulator RH.
(b) Install the engine mounting insulator RH with the 4 nuts.
Torque: Nut A
(c) Install the steering gear return tube clamps to the frame with the 2 bolts. Torque: 8.0 N*m (80 kgf*cm, 69 in.*lbf)
(d) Install the engine mounting insulator FR with the bolt.
Install the engine lateral control rod with the bolt. Torque: 89 N*m (910 kgf*cm, 66 ft.*lbf)
13. INSTALL OIL PAN SUB-ASSEMBLY
(a) Remove any old packing material and be careful not to drop any oil on the contact surfaces of the cylinder block and oil pan.
(b) Apply a continuous bead of seal packing (Diameter 3.0 to 4.0 mm (0.118 to 0.157 in.)) as shown in the illustration.
Seal packing: Toyota Genuine Seal Packing Block, Three Bond 1207B or Equivalent NOTICE:
• Remove any oil from the contact surfaces.
• Install the oil pan within 3 minutes after applying seal packing.
• Do not start the engine for at least 2 hours after installing.
(c) Install the oil pan to the cylinder block.
(d) Uniformly tighten the 12 bolts and 2 nuts in the sequence shown in the illustration. Torque: 9.0 N*m (92 kgf*cm, 80 in.*lbf)
14. INSTALL CRANK POSITION SENSOR (See page ES-411)
15. INSTALL CRANKSHAFT PULLEY (See page EM-76)
16. INSTALL NO. 1 CHAIN TENSIONER ASSEMBLY
(a) Release the ratchet pawl, then fully push in the plunger and hook the hook to the pin so that the plunger is in the position shown in the illustration
(b) Install a new gasket and the chain tensioner with the 2 nuts.
Was this article helpful?