(1) Install and alternately tighten the bolts of the connecting rod cap in several steps. Torque: 25 N*m (250 kgf*cm, 18 ft.*lbf)
(1) Mark the front of the connecting rod cap bolts with paint.
(2) Retighten the cap bolts by 90°as shown in the illustration.
(i) Check that the crankshaft turns smoothly.
(j) Check the connecting rod thrust clearance (See page EM-140).
13. INSTALL NO. 1 BALANCESHAFT BEARING
(a) Install the bearings in the crankcase and balanceshaft housing.
Do not apply engine oil to the bearings and the contact surfaces.
(b) Apply a light coat of engine oil to the bearings.
14. INSTALL NO. 1 AND NO. 2 BALANCESHAFT SUBASSEMBLY
(a) Rotate the driven gear No. 1 of balanceshaft No. 1 in the rotating direction until it hits the stopper. NOTICE:
Confirm that the matchmarks on driven gears No. 1 and No. 2 are matched.
(b) Align the timing marks of the No. 1 and No. 2 balanceshafts as shown in the illustration.
Place the No. 1 and No. 2 balanceshafts on the crankcase.
Apply a light coat of engine oil under the heads of the balanceshaft housing bolts. Install the balanceshaft housing bolts. NOTICE:
The balance shaft housing bolts are tightened in 2 progressive steps.
(1) Install and uniformly tighten the 8 bolts in the sequence shown in the illustration. Torque: 22 N*m (220 kgf*cm, 16 ft.*lbf)
(1) Mark the front side of each balanceshaft housing bolt head with paint.
(2) Retighten the bolts by 90°as shown in the illustration.
(3) Check that the paint marks are now at a 90°angle to the front.
15. INSTALL STIFFENING CRANKCASE ASSEMBLY
(a) Place a new O-ring on the cylinder block, as shown in the illustration.
(b) Temporarily tighten the pulley set bolt.
(c) Turn the crankshaft to set the crank pins of the No. 1 and No. 4 cylinders to the bottom. HINT:
Make sure that the timing mark on the balanceshaft drive gear is positioned as shown in the illustration.
Apply seal packing in a continuous bead (diameter: 2.5 to 3.0 mm (0.098 to 0.118 in.)) to the places shown in the illustration. Seal packing: Toyota Genuine Seal Packing Black, Three bond 1207B or Equivalent NOTICE:
• Remove any oil from the contact surface.
• Install the crankcase within 3 minutes after applying seal packing.
• Do not start the engine for at least 2 hours after installing the crankcase stiffener.
(f) Temporarily install the crankcase with the 11 bolts. Bolt length
Was this article helpful?