HINT: Inspect and adjust the valve clearance when the engine is cold.
1. DISCONNECT HIGH-TENSION CORDS FROM SPARK
PLUGS (See page IG-7)
2. REMOVE CYLINDER HEAD COVER
(See steps 18 and 24 on pages EM-85 and 87)
3. SET NO.1 CYLINDER TO TDC/COMPRESSION
(a) Turn the crankshaft pulley and align its groove with timing mark "0" of the No.1 timing belt cover.
(b) Check that the valve lifters on the No.1 cylinder are loose and valve lifters on the No.4 are tight. If not, turn the crankshaft one revolution (360°) and align the mark as above.
4. INSPECT VALVE CLEARANCE
(a) Check only the valves indicated.
• Using a feeler gauge, measure the clearance between the valve lifter and camshaft.
• Record the out-of-specification valve clearance measurements . They will be used later to determine the required replacement adjusting shim.
Valve clearance (Cold):
(b) Turn the crankshaft one revolution (360°) and align the mark as above. (See procedure in step 3)
(c) Check only the valves indicated as shown. Measure the valve clearance. (See procedure in step (a))
5. ADJUST VALVE CLEARANCE
(a) Remove the adjusting shim.
• Turn the crankshaft to position the cam lobe of the camshaft on the adjusting valve upward.
• Using SST (A), press down the valve lifter and place SST (B) between the camshaft and valve lifter. Remove SST (A).
HINT: Before pressing down the valve lifter, position its notch toward the spark plug side.
• Remove the adjusting shim with small screwdriver and magnetic finger.
(b) Determine the replacement adjusting shim size by following the Formula or Charts:
• Using a micrometer, measure the thickness of the removed shim.
• Calculate the thickness of a new shim so that the valve clearance comes within specified value.
T Thickness of used shim
A Measured valve clearance
N Thickness of new shim
Intake N = T + (A - 0.20 mm (0.008 in.)) Exhaust N = T + (A - 0.25 mm (0.010 in.))
• Select a new shim with a thickness as close as possible to the calculated valve.
HINT: Shims are available in seventeen sizes in increments of 0.05 mm (0.0020 in.), from 2.50 mm (0.0984 in.) to 3.30 mm (0.1299 in.).
(c) Install a new adjusting shim.
• Place a new adjusting shim on the valve lifter.
• Using SST (A), press down the valve lifter and remove SST (B).
(d) Recheck the valve clearance.
6. REINSTALL CYLINDER HEAD COVER
(See steps 11 and 17 on pages EM-109 and 111)
7. RECONNECT HIGH-TENSION CORDS TO SPARK
Was this article helpful?