3. FIX STEERING WHEEL PAD TO DISC WHEEL WITH TIRE
(a) Install bolts with washers in the four bolt holes in the steer ing wheel pad. Bolt: L 35.0 mm (1.378 in.) M 6.0 m m
Pitch 1.0 mm
NOTICE: Tighten the bolts by hand until the bolts become difficult to turn.
Do not tighten the bolts too much.
(b) Using a service-purpose wire harness for vehicle, tie down the steering wheel pad to the disc wheel.
Wire harness: Stripped wire harness section 1.25 mm2
or more (0.002 in.2 or more) HINT: To calculate the square of the stripped wire harness section -
CAUTION: If a wire harness'which is too thin or some other thing is used to tie down the steering wheel pad, it may be snapped by the shock when the airbag is deployed, this is highly dangerous. Always use a wire harness for vehicle use which is at least 1.25 mm2 (0.002 in.').
(1) Using 3 wire harnesses, wrap the wire harnesses at least 2 times each around the bolts installed on the left and right sides of the steering wheel pad.
CAUTION: Tightly wind the wire harness around the bolts so that there is no slack. If there is slackness in the wire harness, the steering wheel pad may come loose due to the shock when the airbag is deployed, this is highly dangerous.
(2) Face the upper surface of the steering wheel pad upward. Separately tie the left and right sides of the steering wheel pad to the disc wheel through the hub nut holes.
Position the steering wheel pad connector so that it hangs downward through a hub hole in the disc wheel. CAUTION:
• Always tie down the steering wheel pad with the pad side facing upward. It is very dangerous if the steering wheel pad is tied down with the metal surface facing upward, as the wire harness will be cut by the shock of the airbag deploying and the steering wheel pad will be thrown into the air.
• Make sure that the wire harness is tight.
It is very dangerous if looseness in the wire harness results in the steering wheel pad coming free through the shock of the airbag deploying. NOTICE: The disc wheel will be marked by airbag deployment, so use a redundant disc wheel.
4. CONFIRM FUNCTIONING OF SST (SEE PAGE AB-88)
5. INSTALL SST
CAUTION: Place the disc wheel on level ground.
(a) Connect the SST connector to the steering wheel pad con nector. SST 09082-00700
NOTICE: To avoid damaging the SST connector and wire harness, do not lock the secondary lock of the twin lock. Also, provide some slack for the SST wire harness inside the disc wheel.
(b) Move the SST to at least 10 m (33 ft) away frorn the steering wheel pad tied down on the disc wheel.
6. COVER STEERING WHEEL PAD WITH CARDBOARD BOX OR TIRES
(Covering Method Using Cardboard Box)
Cover the steering wheel pad with the cardboard box and weigh the cardboard box down in four places with a at least 20 kg (44 Ib, 196 N).
Size of cardboard box: Must exceed the following dimensions -
When dimension "Y" of the cardboard box exceeds the diameter of the disc wheel with tire the steering wheel pad is tied to -
X = 460 (18.11 in.) + width of tire Y = 650 mm (25.59 in.)
NOTICE: If a cardboard box smaller than the size specified is used, the cardboard box will be broken by the shock of the airbag deployment.
(Covering Method Using Tires)
Place at least three tires without disc wheel on top of the disc wheel with tire to which the steering wheel pad is tied. Tire size: Must exceed the following dimensions -Width 185 mm (7.28 in.) Inner diam. 360 mm (14.17 in.) CAUTION: Do not use tires with disc wheels. NOTICE: The tires may be marked by the airbag deployment, so use redundent tires. 7. AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT
(a) Connect the SST red clip to the battery positive (+)
terminal and the black clip to the battery negative (-) terminal.
(b) Confirm that no-one is within 10 m (33 ft) of the disc wheel the steering wheel pad is tied to.
(c) Press the SST activation switch and deploy' the airbag.
HINT: The airbag deploys simultaneously as the LED of the SST activation switch lights up.
8. DISPOSAL OF STEERING WHEEL PAD (WITH AIRBAG) CAUTION:
• The steering wheel pad is very hot when the airbag is deployed, so leave it alone for at least 30 minutes after deployment.
• Use gloves and safety glasses when handling a steering wheel pad with deployed airbag.
• Do not apply water, etc. to a steering wheel pad with deployed airbag.
• Always wash your hands with water after completing the operation.
(a) Remove the steering wheel pad from the disc wheel.
(b) Place the steering wheel pad in a vinyl bag, tie the end tightly and dispose of it the same way as other general parts.
Was this article helpful?