1. APPLY NON-MELTING TYPE GREASE ON BACKING PLATE AS SHOWN
Apply non-melting type grease to the sliding surfaces of the shoe.
2. APPLY NON-MELTING TYPE GREASE TO SHOE ADJUSTING SCREW SET
3. CONNECT PARKING BRAKE LEVER TO CABLE
Compress the cable spring and connect the lever.
4. INSTALL REAR SHOE
Slide in the rear shoe between the shoe hold-down spring seat and the backing plate.
CAUTION: Do not allow oil or grease to touch the rubbing face.
5. INSTALL TENSION SPRING, FRONT SHOE AND SHOE ADJUSTING SCREW SET
(a) Install the tension spring to the rear shoe.
(b) Install the front shoe to the tension spring.
(c) Install the shoe adjusting screw set between the front and rear shoes.
for Front for Rear
(d) Slide in the front shoe between the shoe hold-down spring seat and the backing plate.
6. INSTALL FRONT SHOE RETURN SPRING
7. INSTALL STRUT WITH SPRING
8. INSTALL REAR SHOE RETURN SPRING
9. INSTALL REAR DISC
(a) Before installing, polish the disc and shoe surfaces with sandpaper.
(b) Align the groove on the rear axle shaft flange and service hole on the disc.
for Front for Rear
10. ADJUST PARKING BRAKE SHOE CLEARANCE
(a) Temporarily install hub nuts.
(b) Turn the adjuster and expand the shoes until the rotor disc locks.
(c) Return the adjuster 8 notches.
11. INSPECT AND ADJUST PARKING BRAKE LEVER TRAVEL
Check that parking brake lever travel is correct.
Pull the parking brake lever all the way up, and count the notches of lever travel.
Parking brake lever travel at 20 kg (44.1 lb, 196 N):
12. INSTALL REAR DISC BRAKE ASSEMBLY
Install the disc brake and torque two torque plate mount bolts.
13. BED DOWN PARKING BRAKE SHOES AND DRUM
(a) Drive the vehicle at about 50 km/h (31 mph) on a safe, level and dry road.
(b) With the parking brake release button pushed in, pull on the lever with 9 kg (19.8 lb or 88 N) of force.
(c) Drive the vehicle for about 400 meters (1/4 mile) in this condition.
(d) Repeat this procedure two or three times.
14. RECHECK PARKING BRAKE LEVER TRAVEL
BRAKE HOSES AND TUBES
DISCONNECT AND CONNECT HOSE AND TUBE
1. DISCONNECT HOSE AND TUBE
(a) Disconnect the clip.
(b) Using a wrench to hold the hose and SST to hold the tube, disconnect the tube and hose.
2. CONNECT HOSE AND TUBE
(a) Connect the hose and tube by hand.
(b) Using a wrench to hold the hose and SST to hold the tube, torque the connection.
(c) Install a new hose clip.
Was this article helpful?