1. INSTALL THRUST BEARING RACE AND REAR
PLANETARY RING GEAR ON INTERMEDIATE SHAFT
Slip the thrust bearing race and ring gear onto the shaft with the exterior splines up, as shown.
2. INSTALL SET RING ON INTERMEDIATE SHAFT
Push down and wind the set ring into place. Check to make sure it is secure.
3. TURN OVER INTERMEDIATE SHAFT AND INSTALL THRUST BEARING AND RACE
Make sure the flat side of the race is against the bearing.
4. INSTALL PINION GEAR ASSEMBLY AND STEEL THRUST WASHER ON REAR PLANETARY CARRIER
Install the washer with the lugs down, fitting into the rear planetary gear carrier.
CAUTION: Make sure the different lug shapes match the openings on the plate.
5. INSTALL THREE OIL SEAL RINGS ON OUTPUT SHAFT
Spread the rings apart and slide them into the groove. Hook both ends by hand.
6. INSTALL THRUST BEARING AND RACE ON OUTPUT SHAFT
Hold the cup of the race toward the bearing.
7. USE EXTENSION HOUSING AS ASSEMBLY STAND
8. INSTALL INTERMEDIATE SHAFT ASSEMBLY IN OUTPUT SHAFT
9. INSTALL REAR PLANETARY CARRIER IN OUTPUT SHAFT
Slide the carrier into place, and make sure that the lugs interlock.
10. SET IN PLACE FRONT PLANETARY RING GEAR
Slide the snap ring downward, and align the lugs with the notches.
Align the ends of the snap ring with the wide gap between the teeth.
11. INSTALL FRONT PLANETARY RING GEAR WITH SNAP RING
While pushing down the ring gear, squeeze the snap ring end with snap ring pliers and install it into the groove.
NOTE: When the snap ring is fully seated, the gap is the width of one lug.
12. INSTALL NYLON THRUST WASHER IN FRONT PLANETARY PINION GEAR
Face the lugs downward and match them with the slots in back of the planetary gear.
13. INSTALL ONE-WAY CLUTCH
14. TEMPORARILY INSTALL REACTION PLATE ON PLANETARY
Insert the plate into place for testing of the one-way clutch.
15. TEST ONE-WAY CLUTCH
The planetary gear must rotate freely counterclockwise and lock clockwise.
If the clutch does not work correctly, it must be replaced.
16. REMOVE REACTION PLATE
17. INSTALL NYLON THRUST WASHER ON FRONT PLANETARY CARRIER
Apply petroleum jelly to the washer to hold it in place during later assembly. Match the lugs with the planetary carrier.
18. INSTALL FRONT PLANETARY GEAR ASSEMBLY TO INTERMEDIATE SHAFT
19. INSTALL PRESSURE PLATE
Install the pressure plate, facing the flat surface toward the intermediate shaft.
20. INSTALL NO. 3 BRAKE CLUTCH PACK
Using low-pressure compressed air, blow all excess ATF from discs.
CAUTION: High-pressure air will damage the discs.
Install in order: Disc-plate-disc-plate-disc-plate-disc-plate-disc
21. KEEP INNER RACE, APPLY TUBE, THRUST BEARING AND RACE TOGETHER
No. 3 Brake Outer Piston
Piston Return Spring
Was this article helpful?