1. CHECK THAT STEERING WHEEL FREEPLAY IS CORRECT
With the vehicle stopped and pointed straight ahead, rock the steering wheel gently back and forth with light finger pressure. Freeplay should not exceed the maximum limit
If incorrect, repair as required.
2. CHECK STEERING LINKAGE AND GEAR HOUSING
(a) Check the steering linkage for looseness or damage. Check that:
• Tie rod ends do not have excessive play.
• Boot clamps are not loose.
(b) Check the gear housing for grease leakage or oozing.
STEERING COLUMN ASSEMBLY WITH TILT STEERING
REMOVAL OF STEERING COLUMN
Column Tube and Shaft
Column Cover kg-cm <ft lb. N-m)J : Specified torque
REMOVE NEGATIVE CABLE FROM BATTERY
REMOVE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT
(a) Remove the two set bolts.
(b) Remove the rack housing side first.
(c) Remove the column side.
REMOVE STEERING WHEEL
(a) Remove the screw at the lower portion of the steering wheel pad and pull the pad out upward.
(b) Remove the steering wheel nut.
(c) Using SST, remove the steering wheel. SST 09609-20011
REMOVE INSTRUMENT LOWER PANEL AND AIR DUCT
REMOVE COLUMN COVER AND COMBINATION SWITCH
6. REMOVE TWO MOUNTING BOLTS FROM COLUMN HOLE COVER PLATE
7. REMOVE TWO COLUMN BRACKET MOUNTING NUTS
8. PULL OUT COLUMN TUBE AND SHAFT
Turn the column tube as shown and pull out the shaft.
Was this article helpful?