1. DISCONNECT BATTERY CABLE FROM NEGATIVE TERMINAL
2. DRAIN COOLANT
Open the radiator drain cock and drain coolant into a suitable container.
3. DISCONNECT UPPER RADIATOR HOSE
4. DISCONNECT AIR INTAKE CONNECTOR
5. DISCONNECT TRANSMISSION THROTTLE CABLE
(a) Loosen the adjusting nuts, and disconnect the cable housing from the bracket.
(b) Disconnect the cable from the throttle linkage.
(c) Disconnect the throttle cable from the engine rear end.
6. RAISE VEHICLE AND DRAIN TRANSMISSION CAUTION: Be sure the vehicle is securely supported.
7. DISCONNECT THREE WIRING CONNECTORS
Disconnect the three connectors located near the starter.
(a) Disconnect the propeller shaft from the intermediate shaft.
(b) Remove the center bearing.
(c) Remove the intermediate shaft.
9. DISCONNECT EXHAUST PIPE FROM TAIL PIPE
(a) Disconnect the pipe at the rear side of the converter.
(b) Remove the two rubber hangers.
(c) Remove the pipe clamp from the transmission case.
10. DISCONNECT TWO OIL COOLER LINES
(a) Remove the oil cooler pipe clamp from the transmission case.
(b) Disconnect the two oil cooler pipes from the transmission case.
11. DISCONNECT MANUAL SHIFT LINKAGE
Disconnect the shift linkage at the rear connection.
12. DISCONNECT SPEEDOMETER CABLE
13. REMOVE EXHAUST PIPE BRACKET AND CONVERTER COVER BOTH STIFFENER PLATES FROM TRANSMISSION HOUSING AND CYLINDER BLOCK
14. REMOVE POWER STEERING GEAR HOUSING
(a) Remove the sliding yoke from gear housing.
(b) Disconnect both tie rod ends with SST. SST 09611-22012
(c) Remove the fluid line clamps.
(d) Remove the four bolts and remove the two brackets and rubber insulator.
(e) Remove the gear housing from the crossmember and suspend it with strings.
15. JACK UP TRANSMISSION SLIGHTLY
If a transmission jack is not available, be sure to put a wooden block between the jack and the transmission pan to prevent damage.
Raise the transmission enough to remove the weight from the rear support member.
16. REMOVE REAR SUPPORT MEMBER
(a) Remove the ground cable.
(b) Install a wooden block between cowl panel and cylinder head rear end to prevent damage to the heater hose.
(c) Remove the eight bolts, and remove the rear support member.
17. REMOVE ENGINE UNDER COVER
18. REMOVE SIX TORQUE CONVERTER MOUNTING BOLTS
Turn the crankshaft to gain access to each bolt. Remove the six bolts.
19. INSTALL GUIDE PIN IN TORQUE CONVERTER
Install the guide pin in one of the torque converter boh holes.
If necessary, a guide pin can be made by cutting off the head of a bolt.
20. REMOVE TRANSMISSION HOUSING MOUNTING BOLTS
(a) Remove the starter.
(b) Remove the transmission housing mounting bolts.
21. PRY ON END OF GUIDE PIN TO BEGIN MOVING TRANSMISSION WITH CONVERTER TOWARD REAR
The guide pin helps keep the converter with the trans mission.
22. REMOVE TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY
Draw out the transmission down and toward the rear.
CAUTION: Be careful not to snag the throttle cable or neutral start switch cable. Keep the oil pan positioned downward.
23. PLACE PAN UNDER CONVERTER HOUSING, AND REMOVE CONVERTER
Pull the converter straight off, and allow the fluid to drain into the pan.
24. REMOVE FILLER TUBE
25. REMOVE REAR TRANSMISSION MOUNT WITH GROUND STRAP
Was this article helpful?