CAUTION: Perform the test at normal operating fluid temperature (50 - 80°C or 122 - 176°F).
1. "D" RANGE TEST IN NORM, AND PWR PATTERN RANGES
Shift into "D" range and hold the accelerator pedal constant at 50 % and 100 % throttle valve opening positions.
Push in one of the pattern selector buttons and check the following:
(a) 1-2, 2-3, 3-OD and lock-up up-shifts should take place, and shift points should conform to those shown in the automatic shift diagram.
(1) There is no 3rd up-shift or lock-up when coolant temperature is below 35°C (95°F) and speed is under 48 km/h (30 mph).
(2) There is no OD up-shift or lock-up when coolant is below 63°C (145°F) and speed is under 63 km/h (39 mph), or if there is a 10 km/h (6 mph) difference between the set cruise control speed.
(3) If there is no 3 OD up-shift (throttle valve opening 1/2),
(4) If the shift point is defective:
• Throttle valve, 1-2 shift valve, 2-3 shift valve, 3-OD shift valve etc., are defective.
(5) If the lock-up is defective:
• Lock-up relay valve is stuck
(b) In the same manner, check the shock and the slip at 1 «■♦ 2, 2 3 and 3 OD up shifts.
If the shock is excessive:
• Line pressure is too high
• Accumulator is defective
• Check ball is defective
(c) Run in the OD gear of the "D" range and with the lock-up in operation, and check for abnormal noise of vibration.
NOTE: Check for cause of abnormal noise and vibration must be made with extreme care as they could also be di* to unbalance in the propeller shaft, differential, tire, torque converter, etc. or insufficient bending rigidity, etc., in the power train.
(d) While running in "D" range 2nd, 3rd gears and 00, check to see that the possible kick-down vehicle speed limits for 2 - 1, 3 1,3-* 2, OD 3 and 00 -2 kick-downs conform to those indicated on the automatic shift diagram.
(e) Check for abnormal shock and slip at kick-down.
(f) While running in "D" range OD gear, shift to "2" and "L" ranges and check the engine braking effect at each of these ranges.
(1) If there is no engine braking effect at "2" range:
(2) If there is no engine braking effect at "L" range:
2. "2" RANGE TEST, WITH NORM AND PWR PATTERNS
Shift into "2" range and while driving with the accelerator pedal held constant at specified point (throttle valve opening 50 % and 100 %) and push in one of the pattern selectors, check on the following points.
(a) At each of the above throttle openings, check to set that 1 2 up shift take place and also that the shift points conform to those shown on the automatic shift diagram.
NOTE: There is no OD and no lock-up in "2" range.
(b) While running in "2" range, 2nd gear, release the accelerator pedal and check the engine braking effect.
Abnormal Noise tcoolt
(c) Check for 2 1 down-shift and abnormal noise at acceleration and deceleration, and for shock at up shift and down-shift.
3. "L" RANGE TEST
(a) While running above 80 km/h (50 mph) in the "D" range, release your foot from the accelerator pedal and shift into "L" range.
Then check to see that the 2 1 down shift point conforms to 53 km/h (33 mph).
(b) While running in the "L" range, check to see that there is no up-shift to 2nd gear.
(c) While running in "L" range, release the accelerator pedal and check the engine braking effect.
(d) Check for abnormal noise at acceleration and deceleration.
4. "R" RANGE TEST
Shift into "R" range and, while starting at full throttle, check for slipping.
Vehicle on Gradient
Stop the vehicle on a gradient (more than 9 %) and after shifting into "P" range, release the parking brake. Then check to see that the parking lock pawl is functioning to prevent the vehicle from moving.
Was this article helpful?