1. DTC CHECK (CHECK MODE)
Hand-held tester only:
Compared to the normal mode, the check mode has more sensing ability to detect malfunctions. Furthermore, the same diagnostic items which are detected in the normal mode can also be detected in the check mode.
(a) Procedure for Check Mode using the hand-held tester.
(1) Check the initial conditions.
• Battery positive voltage 11 V or more
• Throttle valve fully closed
• Transaxle in the P or N position
(2) Turn the ignition switch off.
(3) Connect the hand-held tester to the DLC3.
(4) Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
(5) Switch the hand-held tester from the normal mode to the check mode (Check that the MIL flashes).
If the hand-held tester switches the ECM from the normal mode to the check mode or vice-versa, or if the ignition switch is turned from the ON position to the ACC or LOCK position during the check mode, the DTC and freeze frame data will be erased.
(6) Start the engine (MIL goes off after the engine starts).
(7) Simulate the conditions of the malfunction described by the customer.
Leave the ignition switch in the ON position until you have checked the DTCs, etc.
(8) After simulating malfunction conditions, use the hand-held tester diagnosis selector to check the DTCs and freeze frame data, etc.
Be sure not to turn the ignition switch off, as turning it off switches the diagnosis system from the check mode to the normal mode, which erases all the DTCs, etc.
(9) After checking the DTC, inspect the applicable circuit.
DIAGNOSTICS - ELECTRONIC CONTROLLED AUTOMATIC 05-355
TRANSAXLE [ECT] (April, 2003)
Was this article helpful?