Control of Shift Timing
The components which make up this system include:
• Water temperature sensor
• Cruise control ECU
• No. 1 and No. 2 solenoid valves (shift solenoids)
The ECU controls No. 1 and No. 2 solenoid valves based on vehicle speed, throttle opening angle and mode select switch position.
The ECT ECU prevents an upshift to overdrive under the following conditions:
• Water temperature is below 122'F to 146*F*
• Cruise control speed is 6 mph below set speed.
• OD main switch is off (contacts closed).
In addition to preventing the OD from engaging below a specific engine temperature, upshift to third gear is also prevented in the Supra and Cressida below 96'F and the V6 Camry below 100'F.
* Consult the specific repair manual or the ECT Diagnostic Information Technician Reference Card for the specific temperature at which overdrive is enabled.
Was this article helpful?