Introduction to Combustion Chemistry

The gasoline-powered internal combustion engine takes air from the atmosphere and gasoline, a hydrocarbon fuel, and through the process of combustion releases the chemical energy stored in the fuel. Of the total energy released by the combustion process, about 20% is used to propel the vehicle, the remaining 80% is lost to friction, aerodynamic drag, accessory operation, or simply wasted as heat transferred to the cooling system.

Modern gasoline engines are very efficient compared to predecessors of the late '60s and early '70s when emissions control and fuel economy were first becoming a major concern of automotive engineers. Generally speaking, the more efficient an engine becomes, the lower the exhaust emissions from the tailpipe. However, as clean as engines operate today, exhaust emission standards continually tighten. The technology to achieve these ever-tightening emissions targets has led to the advanced closed loop engine control systems used on today's Toyota vehicles. With these advances in technology comes the increased emphasis on maintenance, and when the engine and emission control systems fail to operate as designed, diagnosis and repair.

Do It Yourself Car Diagnosis

Do It Yourself Car Diagnosis

Don't pay hundreds of dollars to find out what is wrong with your car. This book is dedicated to helping the do it yourself home and independent technician understand and use OBD-II technology to diagnose and repair their own vehicles.

Get My Free Ebook


Post a comment