• Make sure battery cables are connected to correct terminals.
• Always disconnect battery cables (negative first!) when the battery is given a quick charge.
• Never operate an alternator on an open circuit (battery cables disconnected).
• Always follow specs for engine speed when grounding terminal "F to bypass the regulator. High speeds may cause excess output that could damage components.
• Never ground alternator output terminal "B." It has battery voltage present at all times, even with the engine off.
• Do not perform continuity tests with a highvoltage insulation resistance tester. This type of ohmmeter could damage the alternator diodes.
Was this article helpful?