If there is lack of power, excessive oil consumption or poor fuel < leiii! eri? economy, measure the compression pressure.
Allow the engine to warm up to normal operating temperature. 2. DISCONNECT INJECTION PUMP (SPILL CONTROL VALVE) CONNECTOR > 3. DISCONNECT GLOW PLUG WIRE FROM GLOW w PLUG CONNECTOR
In order not to short the glow plug wire, apply vinyl tape around the terminal. ' i ;
4. REMOVE INTAKE PIPE (See page EM-44) 3X9 ion 3i it 1i 5. , REMOVE INJECTION PIPES (See page FU-18f
6. REMOVE INJECTION NOZZLES (See page FU-5)
7. CHECK CYLINDER COMPRESSION PRESSURE ~
Turn the starter before measuring thexbmpression and discharge the foreign objects.
(a) Install SST (attachment) to the injection nozzle hole. SST 09992-00500
(b) Connect SST (compression gauge) to the attachment. SST 09992-00024 (09992-00200, 09992-00211)
(c) While cranking the engine, measure the compression pressure.
.Always use a fully charged battery to obtain engine revolution of 250 rpm or more. . ■
(d) Repeat steps (a) through (c) for each cylinder. NOTICE: , ■ * i JJ
This measurement must be done in as short a time as possible.
Minimum pressure: 1,961 kPa (20.0 kgf/cm2, 284 psi)
Difference between each cylinder:
(e) If the cylinder compression in one or more cylinders is low, pour a small amount of engine oil into the cylinder through the injection nozzle hole and repeat steps (a) through (c) for the cylinder with low compression.
• If adding oil helps the compression, chances are that the piston rings and / or cylinder bore are worn or damaged.
engine Mechanical - compression _
t Uf • If pressure stays low, a valve may be sticking or
^ seating improperly, or there may be leakage past the gasket.
8. REINSTALL INJECTION NOZZLES (See page FU-18)
9. REINSTALL INJECTION PIPES (See page FU-25)
10. REINSTALL INTAKE PIPE (See page EM-64)
11. RECONNECT GLOW PLUG WIRE TO GLOW PLUG CONNECTOR
12. RECONNECT INJECTION PUMP (SPILL CONTROL VALVE) CONNECTOR
13. START ENGINE AND CHECK FUEL LEAKAGE i
ENGfNfEMECHANîCAL - VALVE CLEARANCE
Was this article helpful?