Inspect and adjust the valve clearance when the engine is cold.
1. REMOVE INTAKE AIR PIPE
2. REMOVE INTAKE PIPE (See page EM-h44)
3. REMOVE CYLINDER HEAD COVER (See page EM-44)
4. SET NO.4 CYLINDER TO TDC / COMPRESSION
(a) Turn the crankshaft pulley clockwise, and align its groove with the timing pointer.
(b) Check that the valve lifters on the No.4 cylinder are loose and valve lifters on the No.1 cylinder are tight.
If not, turn the crankshaft one revolution (360°) and align the mark as above.
5. CHECK VALVE CLEARANCE ~
(a) Check only the valves indicated in the illustration.
(1) Using a feeler gauge, measure the clearance between the valve lifter and camshaft.
(2) Record the out-of-specification valve clearance measurements. They will be used later to determine the required replacement adjusting shim.
Valve clearance (Cold):
0.20 - 0.30 mm (0.008 - 0.012 in.)
0.25-0.35 mm (0.010-0.014 in.)
(b) Turn the crankshaft pulley one revolution (360°) and align the mark as above (See procedure step 4).
(c) Check only the valves indicated as shown. Measure the valve clearance. (See procedure in step (a))
Was this article helpful?