HINT: Inspect and adjust the valve clearance when the engine is cold.
1. DISCONNECT HIGH-TENSION CORDS FROM SPARK PLUGS (See page IG-11)
2. REMOVE CYLINDER HEAD COVER (See step 32 on page EM-104)
3. SET N0.1 CYLINDER TO TDC/COMPRESSION
(a) Turn the crankshaft pulley and align its groove with timing mark "0" of the No.1 timing belt cover.
(b) Check that the valve lifters on the No.1 cylinder are loose and valve lifters on the No.4 are tight.
If not, turn the crankshaft one revolution (360°) and align the mark as above.
4. INSPECT VALVE CLEARANCE
(a) Check only those valves indicated.
• Using a feeler gauge, measure the clearance between the valve lifter and camshaft.
• Record out of the specicification valve clearance measurements. They will be used later to determine the required replacement adjusting shim.
Valve clearance (Cold):
Intake 0.19 - 0.29 mm (0.007 - 0.011 in.) Exhaust 0.28 - 0.38 mm (0.011 - 0.015 in.)
(b) Turn the crankshaft one revolution (360°) and align the mark as above. (See procedure step 3)
(c) Check only the valves indicated as shown. Measure the valve clearance. (See procedure step (a))
5. ADJUST VALVE CLEARANCE
(a) Remove the adjusting shim.
• Turn the crankshaft to position the cam lobe of the camshaft on the adjusting valve upward.
• Using SST (A), press down the valve lifter and place SST (B) between the camshaft and valve lifter. Remove SST (A).
HINT: Before pressing down the valve lifter, position its notch toward the spark plug side.
• Remove the adjusting shim with small screwdriver and magnetic finger.
(b) Determine the replacement adjusting shim size by following the Formula or Charts:
• Using a micrometer, measure the thickness of the removal shim.
• Calculate the thickness of a new shim so that the valve clearance comes within specified value.
T Thickness of used shim
A Measured valve clearance
N Thickness of new shim
Intake N = T + (A - 0.24 mm (0.009 in.)) Exhaust N = T + (A-0.33 mm (0.013 in.))
• Select a new shim with a thickness as close as possible to the calculated valve.
HINT: Shims are available in seventeen sizes of 0.05 mm (0.0020 in.), from 2.50 mm (0.0984 in.) to 3.30 mm (0.1299 in.).
(c) Install a new adjusting shim.
• Place a new adjusting shim on the valve lifter.
• Using SST (A), press down the valve lifter and remove SST (B).
(d) Recheck the valve clearance.
6. REINSTALL CYLINDER HEAD COVER (See step 7 on page EM-126)
7. RECONNECT HIGH-TENSION CORDS TO SPARK PLUGS
Was this article helpful?