HINT: Inspect and adjust the valve clearance when the engine is cold.
1. DISCONNECT CABLE FROM NEGATIVE TERMINAL OF BATTERY
CAUTION: Work must be started after approx. 20 seconds or longer from the time the ignition switch is turned to the "LOCK" position and the negative (-) terminal cable is disconnected from the battery.
2. REMOVE N0.1 AIR INTAKE CONNECTOR (See step 4 on page TC-20)
3. DISCONNECT HIGH-TENSION CORDS FROM SPARK PLUGS (See page IG-6)
4. REMOVE EGR VACUUM MODULATOR AND VSV (See step 22 on page EM-66)
5. REMOVE THROTTLE BODY
(See steps 3, 5 to 8,10 and 11 on pages FI-135 and 136)
6. REMOVE HOSE CLAMP AND VTV CLAMP OF AIR BY-PASS VALVE
(See steps 15 and 16 on page TC-9)
7. REMOVE CYLINDER HEAD COVER (See step 35 on page EM-70)
8. SET NO.1 CYLINDER TO TDC/COMPRESSION
(a) Turn the crankshaft pulley and align its groove with timing mark "0" of the No.1 timing belt cover.
(b) Check that the valve lifters on the No.1 cylinder are loose and valve lifters on No.4 are tight.
If not, turn the crankshaft one revolution (360°) and align the mark as above.
9. INSPECT VALVE CLEARANCE
(a) Check only those valves indicated.
• Using a feeler gauge, measure the clearance between the valve lifter and camshaft.
• Record the specicifications of the valve clearance measurements. They will be used later to determine the required replacement adjusting shim.
Valve clearance (Cold):
(b) Turn the crankshaft one revolution (360[) and align the mark as above. (See procedure step 8)
(c) Check only the valves indicated as shown. Measure the valve clearance.
(See procedure step (a))
10. ADJUST VALVE CLEARANCE
(a) Remove the adjusting shim.
• Turn the crankshaft to position the cam lobe of the camshaft on the adjusting valve upward.
• Using SST (A), press down the valve lifter and place SST (B) between the camshaft and valve lifter. Remove SST (A).
HI NT: Before pressing down the valve lifter, position its notch toward the spark plug side.
• Remove the adjusting shim with small screwdriver and magnetic finger.
(b) Determine the replacement adjusting shim size by following the Formula or Charts:
• Using a micrometer, measure the thickness of the removal shim.
• Calculate the thickness of a new shim so that the valve clearance comes within the specified value.
T Thickness of used shim
A Measured valve clearance
N Thickness of new shim
Intake N = T + (A - 0.20 mm (0.008 in.)) Exhaust N = T + (A - 0.25 mm (0.010 in.))
• Select a new shim with a thickness as close as possible to the calculated valve.
HINT: Shims are available in twenty-seven sizes of 0.05 mm (0.0020 in.), from 2.00 mm (0.0787 in.) to 3.30 mm (0.1299 in.).
(c) Install a new adjusting shim.
• Place a new adjusting shim on the valve lifter.
• Using SST (A), press down the valve lifter and remove SST (B).
(d) Recheck the valve clearance.
11. REINSTALL CYLINDER HEAD COVER (See step 7 on page EM-88)
12. INSTALL HOSE CLAMP AND VTV CLAMP OF AIR BY-PASS VALVE
(See steps 13 and 14 on page TC-19)
13. REINSTALL THROTTLE BODY
(See steps 2, 3, 4 to 8 and 10 on pages FI-138 and 139)
14. REINSTALL EGR VACUUM MODULATOR AND VSV (See step 20 on page EM-92)
15. RECONNECT HIGH-TENSION CORDS FROM SPARK PLUGS
16. REINSTALL NO.1 AIR INTAKE CONNECTOR (See step 10 on page TC-25)
17. CONNECT CABLE TO NEGATIVE TERMINAL OF BATTERY
Was this article helpful?