1. DISCONNECT CABLE FROM NEGATIVE TERMINAL OF BATTERY
CAUTION: Work must be started after approx. 20 seconds or longer from the time the ignition switch is turned to the "LOCK" position and the negative (-) terminal cable is disconnected from the battery.
2. REMOVE ENGINE UNDER COVERS
3. REMOVE RH ENGINE HOOD SIDE PANEL
4. REMOVE SUSPENSION UPPER BRACE (See steps 8 on page EM-182)
5. REMOVE CRUISE CONTROL ACTUATOR (w/ CRUISE CONTROL SYSTEM) AND ACCELERATOR LINKAGE (See step 11 on page EM-182)
6. REMOVE RH FRONT WHEEL
7. REMOVE A/C DRIVE BELT
Loosen the idler pulley bolt and adjusting bolt, and remove the drive belt.
8. REMOVE ALTERNATOR DRIVE BELT
Loosen the pivot bolt, adjusting lock bolt and adjusting bolt, and remove the drive belt.
9. SLIGHTLY JACK UP ENGINE
Raise the engine enough to remove the weight from the engine mounting on the right side.
10. REMOVE RH ENGINE MOUNTING STAY
Remove the bolt, nut and mounting stay.
11. REMOVE RH ENGINE MOUNTING INSULATOR
Remove the through bolt, two nuts and mounting insulator.
12. REMOVE RH ENGINE MOUNTING BRACKET
Remove the three bolts and mounting bracket.
HINT: Lower the jack and perform the operation with the engine fully up.
13. REMOVE NO.2 TIMING BELT COVER
Remove the five bolts, timing belt cover and two gaskets.
14. REMOVE SPARK PLUGS (See page IG-11)
15. SET NO.1 CYLINDER TO TDC/COMPRESSION
(a) Turn the crankshaft pulley and align its groove with timing mark "0" of the No.1 timing belt cover.
(b) Check that the hole of the camshaft timing pulley is aligned with the timing mark of the bearing cap.
If not, turn the crankshaft one revolution (360°).
HINT (When re-using timing belt): Place the match-marks on the timing belt and camshaft timing pulley, and place matchmark on the timing belt to match the end of the No.1 timing belt cover.
(a) Loosen the mount bolt of the No.1 idler pulley and shift the pulley toward the left as far as it will go, temporarily tighten it.
(b) Remove the timing belt from the camshaft timing pulley.
17. REMOVE CAMSHAFT TIMING PULLEY
Using SST, remove the bolt, plate washer and timing pulley.
SST 09249-63010 and 09278-54012
18. REMOVE CRANKSHAFT PULLEY
(a) Using SST, remove the pulley bolt.
SST 09213-54015 (09214-00030) and 09330-00021
HINT (When re-using timing belt): After loosening the crankshaft pulley bolt, check that the timing belt match-mark aligns with the end of the No.1 timing belt cover when the crankshaft pulley groove is aligned with the timing mark "0" of the No.1 timing belt cover. If the matchmark does not align, align as follows:
(When matchmark is out of alignment clockwise)
• Align the matchmark by pulling the timing belt up on the water pump pulley side while turning the crankshaft pulley counterclockwise.
• After aligning the matchmark, hold the timing belt. And turn the crankshaft pulley clockwise, and align its groove with timing mark "0" of the No.1 timing belt cover.
(When matchmark is out of alignment counterclockwise)
• Align the matchmark by pulling the timing belt up on the No.1 idler pulley side while turning the crankshaft pulley clockwise.
• After aligning the matchmark, hold the timing belt. And turn the crankshaft pulley counterclockwise, and align its groove with timing mark "0" of the No.1 timing belt cover.
(b) Using SST, remove the pulley.
SST 09213-60017 (09213-00020, 09213-00030, 09213-00050)
HINT (When re-using timing belt): Remove the pulley without turning it.
19. REMOVE NO.1 TIMING BELT COVER
Remove the four bolts, timing belt cover and gasket.
20. REMOVE TIMING BELT GUIDE
21. REMOVE TIMING BELT
HINT (When re-using timing belt): Draw a direction arrow on the timing belt (in direction of engine revolution), and place the matchmarks on the timing belt and crankshaft timing pulley.
22. REMOVE NO.1 IDLER PULLEY AND TENSION SPRING
Remove the bolt, pulley and tension spring.
23. REMOVE NO.2 IDLER PULLEY
Remove the bolt and pulley.
24. REMOVE CRANKSHAFT TIMING PULLEY
If the pulley cannot be removed by hand, use two screwdrivers.
HI NT: Position shop rags as shown to prevent damage.
25. REMOVE OIL PUMP PULLEY
Using SST, remove the nut and pulley. SST 09616-30011
Was this article helpful?