To avoid potential death or serious injury when the front passenger occupant classification system does not detect the conditions correctly, observe the following.
• Make sure the "AIRBAG ON" indicator light is illuminated when using the seat belt extender for the front passenger seat. If the "AIRBAG OFF" indicator light is illuminated, disconnect the extender tongue from the seat belt buckle, then reconnect the seat belt. Reconnect the seat belt extender after making sure the "AIRBAG ON" indicator light is illuminated. If you use the seat belt extender while the "AIR-BAG OFF" indicator light is illuminated, the front passenger airbag and side airbag on the front passenger side may not activate correctly, which could cause death or serious injury in the event of collision.
• Do not recline the front passenger seatback so far that it touches a rear/second seat. This may cause the "AIRBAG OFF" indicator to be illuminated, which indicates that the passenger's airbags will not deploy in the event of a severe accident. If the seatback touches the rear/ second seat, return the seatback to a position where it does not touches the rear/second seat.
Keep the front passenger seatback as upright as possible when the vehicle is moving. Reclining the seatback excessively may lessen the effectiveness of the seat belt system.
• If an adult sits in the front passenger seat, the "AIRBAG ON" indicator light should be illuminated. If the "AIRBAG OFF" indicator is illuminated, ask the passenger to sit up straight, well back in the seat, feet on the floor, and with the seat belt worn correctly. If the "AIRBAG OFF" indicator still remains illuminated, either ask the passenger to move to the rear/second seat, or if that is not possible, move the front passenger seat fully rearward.
• Make sure the seat belt tab ha serted into the b one sits in th seat.
• Do not apply a front passenger (e.g. seatback po
• Do not put weigl senger seat by or feet on the fr seatback from th senger seat.
• Do not let a rea lift the front pa their feet or pre with their legs.
• Do not put obje passenger seat.
• Child restraint s' the rear/second contact the front
Was this article helpful?