7. Once ring gear has cooled, install and tighten ring gear bolts in a crisscross pattern to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS . Bend lock tabs over bolts.
8. Using a press, install NEW race for front bearing into differential carrier (if removed). Install NEW adjusting washer in differential carrier, below race for rear bearing (if removed). Ensure adjusting washer is same thickness as adjusting washer that was removed.
9. Using a press, install NEW race for rear bearing into differential carrier (if removed). Press NEW rear bearing onto drive pinion (if removed).
10. Install drive pinion into differential carrier. Support rear side of drive pinion in press. Install front bearing onto drive pinion. DO NOT install spacers, washers and oil seal at this time.
11. Press front bearing onto drive pinion. Install companion flange onto drive pinion. Coat threads of drive pinion nut with oil. Install drive pinion nut onto drive pinion.
12. Hold companion flange and slightly tighten drive pinion nut in small increments to obtain correct drive pinion rotating torque.
Was this article helpful?