Reassembly & Adjustments
1. Using a press, install NEW dust deflector onto companion flange (if removed).
2. On Tacoma, install side gears with thrust washers, pinion gears, thrust washers and pinion shaft into differential case. Ensure hole in pinion shaft aligns with hole for pin in differential case.
2001 DRIVE AXLES Differentials & Axle Shafts - Rear Separate Carrier
3. On 4Runner, install side gear thrust washer to side gear. Install side gear to right differential case. Install 4 pinion gears and thrust washers to spider. Install 4 pinion gears, with spider, to right differential case. See Fig. 19 .
4. On all models, check side gear backlash while holding one pinion gear toward differential case. See AXLE ASSEMBLY SPECIFICATIONS .
5. If side gear backlash is not within specification, install different thickness thrust washers on side gears, and recheck side gear backlash. Thrust washers are available in various thicknesses.
6. Once correct side gear backlash is obtained, install pin in differential case. Using hammer and punch, stake differential case at pin location.
7. On 4Runner, install spider, side gears, pinion gears and thrust washers into right differential case. Using a dial indicator, check side gear backlash while holding one side gear against differential case. See Fig. 8 . Check side gear backlash in left and right differential cases.
8. Side gear backlash should be within specification. See AXLE ASSEMBLY SPECIFICATIONS . If side gear backlash is not within specification, install different thickness thrust washer onto both side gears and recheck side gear backlash. Thrust washers are available in various thicknesses.
9. Once correct side gear backlash is obtained, coat components with gear oil. Assemble right and left differential cases with reference marks aligned. Install and tighten bolts, in small increments, to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS .
10. On all models, using a press, install NEW side bearings onto differential case (if removed). Place ring gear in water and heat to 212°F (100°C).
11. Remove ring gear from water and allow moisture to evaporate. Install ring gear onto differential case with reference marks aligned.
12. Loosely install all ring gear bolts and NEW lock plates onto ring gear. Allow ring gear to cool.
Was this article helpful?