38. On all models, using an INCH-lb. torque wrench installed on drive pinion nut, measure total assembled preload required to rotate drive pinion and ring gear. Total assembled preload should be within specification. See AXLE ASSEMBLY SPECIFICATIONS .
39. Check gear tooth contact pattern. See GEAR TOOTH CONTACT PATTERNS article in GENERAL INFORMATION. If gear tooth contact pattern is incorrect, change thickness of washer installed on drive pinion.
40. Remove drive pinion lock nut. Using puller, remove companion flange from drive pinion.
41. Remove front bearing and oil slinger (if equipped) from differential carrier. Install NEW spacer and washers on drive pinion. Install front bearing onto drive pinion. Install oil slinger in original direction of installation.
42. Install NEW oil seal to correct depth in differential carrier. See DRIVE PINION OIL SEAL DEPTH INSTALLATION SPECIFICATIONS table.
43. Apply grease to lip of oil seal. Install companion flange onto drive pinion. Apply grease to threads of NEW drive pinion lock nut. Install washer and drive pinion lock nut onto drive pinion.
44. Tighten drive pinion lock nut to minimum specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS . Using an INCH-lb. torque wrench installed on drive pinion nut, measure drive pinion rotating torque required to start rotation of drive pinion to determine drive pinion bearing preload. Drive pinion rotating torque should be within specification. See AXLE ASSEMBLY SPECIFICATIONS .
45. If drive pinion rotating torque exceeds specification, replace spacer and repeat procedure. If drive pinion rotating torque is less than specified, tighten drive pinion nut in small increments until correct rotating torque is obtained. DO NOT exceed maximum drive pinion nut torque. If maximum torque is exceeded, replace spacer and repeat procedure. DO NOT back off drive pinion nut.
46. Recheck ring gear backlash and gear tooth contact pattern. Using a dial indicator, check vertical and lateral runout on companion flange while rotating companion flange. See Fig. 6 . If vertical or lateral runout exceeds .0039" (0.100 mm), check bearing on drive pinion.
47. Once all specifications are correct, stake drive pinion nut against drive pinion. Install adjusting nut lock on each adjusting nut. Install and tighten bolt to specification.
2001 DRIVE AXLES Differentials & Axle Shafts - Rear Separate Carrier
48. To complete installation reverse removal procedure. Tighten all nuts and bolts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS . Fill differential.
Was this article helpful?