21. If equipped, install adjusting nuts on differential carrier in original location. Ensure adjusting nuts are properly threaded into differential carrier.
22. Install side bearing caps in original location with reference marks aligned. Install side bearing cap bolts about 3 revolutions and press side bearing caps downward.
23. If side bearing caps do not seat tightly on differential carrier, adjusting nuts are not properly threaded into differential carrier. Remove adjusting nuts and reinstall (if necessary).
24. Tighten side bearing cap bolts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS . Loosen side bearing cap bolts until side bearing cap bolts can be rotated by hand.
25. Fully tighten side bearing cap bolts by hand. Tighten adjusting nut on backside (opposite ring gear teeth) until ring gear has a backlash of about .008" (0.20 mm).
26. While rotating ring gear, fully tighten adjusting nut on front side (teeth side of ring gear) to fully seat bearings. Loosen adjusting nut on front side (teeth side of ring gear).
27. Position dial indicator on differential carrier with stem resting against top of adjusting nut on backside (opposite ring gear teeth). Tighten adjusting nut on front side (teeth side of ring gear) until dial indicator starts to move.
28. Tighten adjusting nut on front side (teeth side of ring gear) an additional 1 to 1 1/2 notches. Notches on adjusting nut are openings that adjusting nut lock fits into.
30. If ring gear backlash is not within specification, rotate both adjusting nuts same amount. For example, if adjusting nut on front side (teeth side of ring gear) is loosened one notch, adjusting nut on backside (opposite ring gear teeth) must be tightened one notch. Ensure adjusting nuts are moved same amount to maintain proper bearing preload.
31. On Tacoma with 2.7L or 3.4L engines, only install plate washer on ring gear back side, leaving some backlash in ring gear. Using plastic hammer, tap ring gear to snug plate washer and bearing into position.
32. Using a dial indicator, hold side bearing boss on teeth surface of ring gear and measure ring gear backlash. See AXLE ASSEMBLY SPECIFICATIONS . Select different thickness plate washer, as needed, using backlash as reference.
33. Select ring gear teeth side plate washer of thickness to eliminate any clearance between outer race and case. Install plate washer into ring gear back side of carrier. Place other washer on differential case, without outer race, and install case assembly into carrier. Tap with plastic hammer to snug washer and
2001 DRIVE AXLES Differentials & Axle Shafts - Rear Separate Carrier bearing.
34. Using a dial indicator, re-measure ring gear backlash. It should be .0051-.0071" (.130-.180 mm). If not, increase or decrease thickness of washers on both sides of ring gear by equal amount. Clearance should exist between plate washer and case when backlash is within specification.
35. When ring gear backlash is properly adjusted, remove teeth side plate washer. With micrometer, measure thickness of plate washer. Install NEW washer that is .0024-.0035" (.061-.089 mm) thicker than plate washer removed. Washer should press into position about 2/3 way by hand. Use brass bar and hammer to fully seat plate washer.
36. Recheck ring gear backlash to be sure it is within specified range. If not, increase or decrease thickness of washers on both sides of ring gear by equal amount.
Was this article helpful?