2. Remove outer race from inboard tripod joint and axle shaft. Remove snap ring from end of axle shaft
2001 DRIVE AXLES AWD & FWD Axle Shafts - Highlander, MR2, RAV4 & Sequoia retaining inboard tripod joint. Paint reference marks on tripod joint and axle shaft for reassembly reference.
3. Using a hammer and brass drift, tap inboard tripod joint from axle shaft. DO NOT tap on roller of tripod joint during removal. Remove boots from axle shaft. Using a screwdriver and hammer, remove dust deflector from axle shaft.
1. Using a press, install NEW dust deflector on axle shaft. Wrap splines on axle shaft with tape to prevent damaging boots during installation.
2. Install NEW boots and NEW boot clamps on axle shaft. Install NEW snap ring on axle shaft. Install inboard tripod joint on axle shaft, with small diameter side facing outboard joint. Ensure reference mark on inboard joint and axle shaft are aligned. Install NEW snap ring that retains inboard tripod joint on axle shaft.
3. Apply grease supplied with overhaul kit to inner joint and boot. Install outer joint tulip on inner joint. Ensure match marks are aligned.
4. Apply grease supplied with overhaul kit into outer joint and boot. Install boot on inner housing and outer joint. Ensure boots are seated in grooves on axle shaft. Adjust axle shaft to standard axle shaft length. See AXLE SHAFT LENGTH SPECIFICATIONS . See Fig. 15 . Install and tighten boot clamps.
To install, reverse removal procedure. Tighten fasteners to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS .
After installation, check ABS speed sensor signal and wheel alignment.
Was this article helpful?