1. Remove direct clutch drum from forward clutch assembly. Remove thrust washer from inside of clutch drum. Remove snap ring from clutch drum. Remove flange, discs and plates. Note number and location of components. See Fig. 34.
2001-05 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS A340E & A340F Overhaul
2. Using appropriate compressor, compress piston return spring and remove snap ring or oil seal ring. Place clutch drum on overdrive support and carefully apply air pressure to piston supply port and remove clutch piston. See Fig. 35.
1. Clean all components (except discs) with solvent. Dry with compressed air. Inspect plates and discs for flaking or burnt areas.
2. Ensure check ball is free in clutch piston. Apply air pressure to check ball area. Ensure check ball does not allow air to bleed through piston. Measure free length of piston return spring. Length should be .915" (23.25 mm).
3. Measure inside diameter of clutch drum bushing. Replace the clutch drum if bushing diameter exceeds specification. Direct clutch drum bushing should be 2.126" (53.99 mm).
Was this article helpful?