3. REMOVE FRONT OIL SEAL
(a) Using SST. remove the oil seal. SST 09308-10010
(b) Remove the oil slinger.
4. REMOVE FRONT BEARING AND BEARING SPACER
(a) Using SST. remove the front bearing. SST 09556-22010
(b) Remove the bearing spacer.
If the front bearing is damaged or worn, replace the bearing.
5. INSTALL NEW BEARING SPACER AND FRONT BEARING
(a) Install a new bearing spacer on the shaft.
(b) Install the front bearing on the shaft.
6. INSTALL OIL SLINGER AND NEW OIL SEAL
(a) Install the oil slinger facing as shown. <b) Using SST, drive in a new oil seal. SST 09554-30011
Oil seal drive in depth: 1.5 mm (0.059 in.) (c) Apply MP grease to the oil seal lip.
7. INSTALL COMPANION FLANGE
(a) Using SST, install the companion flange on the shaft. SST 09557-22022
(b) Coat the threads of a new nut with MP grease.
(c) Using SST to hold the flange, tighten the nut. SST 09330 00021
8. CHECK FRONT 8EARING PRELOAD
Using a torque wrench, measure the preload of the backlash between the drive pinion and ring gear.
New bearing 10—16 kg-cm
(8.7 - 13.9in.-lb, 1.0 - 1.6N-m) Reused bearing 5 — 8 kg-cm
• If preload is greater than specification, replace the bearing spacer.
• If preload is less than specification, retighten the nut 130 kg-cm (9 ft-lb, 13 N-m) at a time until the specified preload is reached.
If the maximum torque is exceed while retightening the nut, replace the bearing spacer and repeat the preload procedure. Do not back off the pinion nut to reduce the preload.
9. CHECK RUNOUT OF COMPANION FLANGE
Using a dial indicator, measure the lateral and radial runout of the companion flange.
Maximum lateral runout: 0.1 mm (0.004 in.) Maximum radial runout: 0.1 mm (0.004 in.) If the runout is greater than the maximum, inspect the bearings.
10. STAKE DRIVE PINION NUT
11. CONNECT PROPELLER SHAFT (See page PR-9)
Was this article helpful?