1. CHECK NO.1 CYLINDER TO TDC/COMPRESSION (See page IG-17)
2. INSTALL DISTRIBUTOR
(a) Install a new O-ring to the distributor.
HINT: Always use a new O-ring when installing the distributor.
(b) Align the groove of the distributor housing with the protrusion on the driven gear.
(c) Insert the distributor, aligning the center of the flange with that of the bolt hole on the cylinder head.
(d) Lightly tighten the hold-down bolt.
3. INSTALL DISTRIBUTOR CAP
4. CONNECT DISTRIBUTOR CONNECTOR
5. CONNECT HIGH-TENSION CORDS TO DISTRIBUTOR CAP
6. WARM UP ENGINE
Allow the engine to normal operating temperature.
7. CONNECT TACHOMETER TO ENGINE
Connect the tachometer test probe to the check connector terminal IG ©i
• NEVER allow the tachometer terminals to touch ground as it could result in damage to the igniter and/or ignition coil.
• As some tachometers are not compatible with this ignition system, we recommend that you confirm the compatibility of your unit before use.
HINT (7M-GTE): Connect the timing light pickup to the
No.6 cylinder high-tension cord.
8. ADJUST IGNITION TIMING
(a) Using SST, connect terminals Tci and Ei of the check connector.
<b) Check the idle speed.
Idle speed: 7M-GE 700 rpm 7M-GTE 650 rpm
<c) Using a timing light, slowly turn the distributor (7M-GE) or cam position sensor (7M-GTE) until the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley is aligned with the 10° mark. Tighten the distributor bolt and recheck the ignition timing.
Ignition timing: 10° BTDC @ idle
|w/ Terminals T«i and Ei connected and Transmission in "N" range)
(d) Remove SST. SST 09843-18020
9. FURTHER CHECK IGNITION TIMING
Check the ignition timing advance.
7M-GE 9-10° BTDC ® idle 7M-GTE More than 12° BTDC <$ idle
10. DISCONNECT TACHOMETER AND TIMING LIGHT FROM ENGINE
Was this article helpful?