1. INSPECT STEERING LINKAGE AND GEAR HOUSING
(a) Check the steering wheel free play.
(b) Check the steering linkage for looseness or damage.
(1) Check that the tie rod ends do not have excessive play.
(2) Check that the dust seals and boots are not damaged.
(3) Check that the boot clamps are not loose.
(4) Check that the steering gear housing is not damaged.
(5) Check that the connectors are properly connected to the steering gear housing.
2. INSPECT BALL JOINTS AND DUST COVERS
(a) Inspect the ball joints for excessive looseness.
(1) Jack up the front of the vehicle and place wooden blocks with a height of 180 to 200 mm (7.09 to 7.87 in.) under the front tires.
(2) Lower the vehicle until the front coil spring has about half its ordinary load. Place stands under the vehicle for safety.
(3) Check that the front wheels are pointing straight ahead. Use wheel chocks on all 4 wheels.
(4) Using a lever, pry up the end of the lower arm. Check the amount of play.
Maximum ball joint vertical play:
0 mm (0 in.) If there is any play, replace the ball joint.
(b) Check the dust cover for damage.
3. INSPECT DRIVE SHAFT BOOTS
(a) Check the drive shaft boots for loose clamps, grease leakage, kinks or damage.
4. INSPECT AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE FLUID (See page
5. INSPECT MANUAL TRANSAXLE OIL (See page MX-
Was this article helpful?