1. INSTALL OIL PUMP ASSEMBLY
(a) Install 2 new O-rings in the 2 locations shown in the illustration.
(b) Apply seal packing to the oil pump assembly, cylinder head and cylinder block as shown in the illustration.
Seal Width (Other Part)
Seal Width (Water Pump Part)
Seal packing: Water pump part Toyota Genuine Seal Packing 1282B, Three Bond 1282B or Equivalent Other part Toyota Genuine Seal Packing Black, Three Bond 1207B or Equivalent NOTICE:
• Remove any oil from the contact surfaces.
• Install the oil pump assembly within 3 minutes and tighten the bolts and nut within 15 minutes of applying the seal packing.
• Do not expose the seal to engine oil for at least 2 hours after the installation.
(c) Align the keyway of the oil pump rotor with the rectangular portion of the crankshaft, and slide the oil pump into place.
(d) Install the oil pump assembly with the 15 bolts and the nut. Tighten the bolts and nut uniformly in several steps.
Torque: 32 N*m (326 kgf*cm, 24 ft.*lbf) for bolt A 11 N*m (112 kgf*cm, 8.1 ft.*lbf) for bolt B
24 N*m (245 kgf*cm, 18 ft.*lbf) for nut D 24 N*m (245 kgf*cm, 18 ft.*lbf) for bolt E NOTICE:
After installing the oil pump assembly, install the mounting bracket and water pump within 15 minutes.
Each bolt length is as follows. A: 30 mm (1.181 in.) B: 35 mm (1.378 in.) C: 20 mm (0.787 in.)
E: 14 to 20 mm (0.551 to 0.787 in.), Double ended bolt
2. INSTALL TRANSVERSE ENGINE ENGINE MOUNTING BRACKET
(a) Install the transverse engine engine mounting bracket with the 4 bolts. Torque: 55 N*m (561 kgf*cm, 41 ft.*lbf)
3. INSTALL WATER PUMP ASSEMBLY (See page CO-16)
4. INSTALL WATER PUMP PULLEY (See page CO-16)
5. INSTALL CAMSHAFT TIMING OIL CONTROL VALVE ASSEMBLY (See page ES-397)
6. INSTALL CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR (See page ES-400)
7. INSTALL CRANKSHAFT DAMPER SUB-ASSEMBLY
(a) Align the pin hole in the crankshaft damper with the pin and install the crankshaft damper sub-assembly.
(b) Provisionally install the bolt.
(c) Using 2 SSTs, tighten the bolt while holding the crankshaft damper sub-assembly.
SST 09213-14010 (91651-60865), 09330-00021 Torque: 128 N*m (1,305 kgf*cm, 95 ft.*lbf) NOTICE:
Check the SST installation positions when installing them, to avoid the SST fixing bolts from coming into contact with the oil pump assembly.
8. INSTALL ENGINE MOUNTING INSULATOR SUBASSEMBLY RH (for Hatchback)
(a) Install the engine mounting insulator sub-assembly RH with the 5 bolts and nut. Torque: 45 N*m (459 kgf*cm, 33 ft.*lbf) for bolt A 52 N*m (530 kgf*cm, 38 ft.*lbf) for bolt B and nut
9. INSTALL ENGINE MOUNTING INSULATOR SUBASSEMBLY RH (for Sedan)
(a) Install the engine mounting insulator sub-assembly RH with the 5 bolts and nut. Torque: 52 N*m (530 kgf*cm, 38 ft.*lbf)
10. INSTALL CYLINDER HEAD COVER SUB-ASSEMBLY (See page FU-19)
11. INSTALL VENTILATION HOSE NO. 2 (See page FU-20)
12. INSTALL VENTILATION HOSE (See page FU-20)
13. INSTALL IGNITION COIL NO. 1 (See page IG-9)
14. INSTALL GENERATOR ASSEMBLY (See page CH-17)
15. INSTALL FAN AND GENERATOR V BELT (See page EM-7)
16. ADJUST FAN AND GENERATOR V BELT (See page EM-7)
17. INSPECT FAN AND GENERATOR V BELT (See page EM-8)
18. CONNECT CABLE TO NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL
19. ADD ENGINE OIL
20. ADD ENGINE COOLANT (See page CO-8)
21. CHECK ENGINE OIL LEVEL (See page LU-1)
22. CHECK FOR ENGINE OIL LEAKAGE
23. CHECK FOR ENGINE COOLANT LEAKAGE (See page CO-1)
24. INSTALL CYLINDER HEAD COVER NO. 2 (See page IG-10)
25. INSTALL ENGINE UNDER COVER RH
26. INSTALL FRONT WHEEL RH
Was this article helpful?