If your seat belts cannot be fastened securely because they are not long enough, a personalized seat belt extender is available from your Toyota dealer free of charge.
Please contact your local Toyota dealer so that the dealer can order the proper required length for the extender. Bring the heaviest coat you expect to wear for proper measurement and selection of length. Additional ordering information is available at your Toyota dealer.
When using the seat belt extender, observe the following precautions. Failure to follow these instructions could reduce the effectiveness of the seat belt restraint system in case of an accident, increasing the chance of personal injury.
• Remember that the extender provided for you may not be safe when used on a different vehicle, for another person, or at a different seating position than the one originally intended.
• If the seat belt extender has been connected to the driver's seat belt buckle without wearing the seat belt when using the extender in the driver's seat, the SRS driver's air-bag system will judge that the driver wears the seat belt even if not wearing it. In this case, the driver's airbag may not activate correctly, causing death or serious injury in the event of collision. Be sure to wear the seat belt with the seat belt extender.
• Make sure the "AIRBAG ON" indicator light is illuminated when using the seat belt extender for the front passenger seat. If the "AIRBAG OFF" indicator light is illuminated, disconnect the extender tongue from the seat belt buckle, then reconnect the seat belt. Reconnect the seat belt extender after making sure the "AIRBAG ON" indicator light is illuminated. If you use the seat belt extender while the "AIRBAG OFF" indicator light is illuminated, the front passenger airbag and side airbag on the front passenger side may not activate correctly, causing death or serious injury in the event of collision.
• Be sure to wear the seat belt without the seat belt extender if you can fasten the seat belt without the extender.
• Do not use the seat belt extender when installing a child restraint system on the front or rear passenger seat. If installing a child restraint system with the seat belt extender connected to the seat belt, the seat belt will not securely hold the child restraint system, which could cause death or serious injury to the child or other passengers in the event of collision.
To connect the extender to the seat belt, insert the tab into the seat belt buckle so that the "PRESS" signs on the buckle release buttons of the extender and the seat belt are both facing outward as shown.
You will hear a click when the tab locks into the buckle.
When releasing the seat belt, press on the buckle release button on the extender, not on the seat belt. This helps prevent damage to the vehicle interior and extender itself.
As far as the seat belt extender on the front passenger side is concerned, do not fail to disconnect the extender from the seat belt after the above operation in order to activate the front passenger airbag correctly when getting into the vehicle next time.
When not in use, remove the extender and store in the vehicle for future use.
• After inserting the tab, make sure the tab and buckle are locked and that the lap and shoulder portions of the belt and the seat belt extender are not twisted.
• Do not insert coins, clips, etc. in the buckle as this may prevent you from properly latching the tab and buckle.
• If the seat belt does not function normally, immediately contact your Toyota dealer. Do not use the seat until the seat belt is fixed, because it cannot protect an adult occupant or your child from death or serious injury.
Was this article helpful?